Table of Contents
High-quality, award-winning auto manufacturing
Why do corporations with operations around the world continue to manufacture in Ontario when some jurisdictions offer a slew of seductive incentives?
They’ll tell you the same thing, time after time: It’s the workforce.
Regardless of where companies locate, their sites and manufacturing equipment might be nearly identical. But the workforce makes all the difference.
For parts manufacturers, especially, a quality workforce is critical. Businesses lose clients, opportunities and profits when shipped parts don’t meet customer specifications. A high-quality workforce spots problems and corrects them. Members of a high-quality workforce understand that quality is a process that runs from the start of a job all the way through delivery.
Assemblers who win J.D. Power and Associates awards rely on extensive supplier networks. In the end it’s the plant or the model that wins the award. But all parts manufacturers know that they’re a critical part of any client winning that award, and manufacturers also understand that a contract with an assembler is an award in itself.
A tally of industry awards
Since 1990, Ontario assembly plants have won 31 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study awards, the industry’s benchmark for new vehicle quality manufacturing. That’s a third of the North American awards in the category.
- Each year, Canadian subsidiaries of the top auto brands in the world impress and take home industry awards.
- Ontario operations of GM, Toyota, and Chrysler have all been recognized for their exceptional quality production in recent years.
Platinum, gold, silver, bronze . . . the list goes on
- Since 1990, GM’s Oshawa Assembly plant has earned four Gold, four Silver and one Bronze J.D. Power and Associates Plant Quality awards. The plant won a Silver award in 2013.
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada has earned 16 J.D. Power and Associates Plant Quality awards, the most of any manufacturing plant in the Americas.
- Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) Plant 2 in Alliston, Ontario won the Bronze plant ranking for North/South America in the 2013 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS).
Our automotive parts manufacturers, tool, die and mould makers and other suppliers are also regularly recognized for their top-quality products, groundbreaking innovation and excellence in business.
Access a PDF about the Automotive sector in Ontario